Game 14


Match Report


John Rae Trophy first round. Paisley Racecourse


Deanpark 1, AC Milanda 5


Scorers - Macdonald 2, Harley 2, Murray


Team - McLaughlin, Di Folco, Preston, Evans, Binnie (Galbraith), Reid, MacDougall, Grehan, Murray, Macdonald, Harley.


Milanda took their expected place in the last eight of the John Rae Trophy with a straightforward victory in Paisley.


Deanpark, struggling two divisions below their visitors, were out of it by half-time. Milanda were 4-0 up by that stage and should have been thinking of the possibility of double figures. However, they took their foot of the gas and managed only a 1-1 draw over the second 45 minutes.


With just 12 players available for the match and that didn’t include one of the three signed keepers. But midfielder Colin McLaughlin, who was carrying a knock, volunteered to go between the sticks. He was pretty much a spectator in the opening period as Milanda drove forward. The woodwork and some good goalkeeping kept Deanpark level until the 13th minute when Greig Harley set up Roddy Macdonald for a simple opener.


A minute later, it was 2-0. This time Harley robbed one of the home defenders and cleverly fired the ball over the keeper before he could react and get back nearer to his line. Goal No.3 came just after the half-hour from an excellent move down the right. Mark Reid started it off with a surging run then fed Kevin Grehan who in turn set up an easy close-range finish for Macdonald.


Four minutes later came the fourth. Grehan was again the provider for Paul Murray who curled a low shot with his right-foot into the keeper’s left-hand corner.


The expected goalfest didn’t ever look like materialising in the second half. Milanda did go 5-0 up when Harley headed home a Murray corner but then everything came to a halt. Deanpark came back into the match and McLaughlin had a couple of good saves before he was finally beaten in the 74th minute following some slack defending.


However, there was never any chance of Deanpark causing genuine problems and the game simply petered out.


Man of the match: Jim Binnie didn’t put a wrong foot in defence, Paul Murray was the pick of the midfielders but this week’s award goes to one of the front players, Greig Harley, for two well-taken goals and one assist.